Wednesday, 11 December 2013

A Store to store stuff

Yesterday, I narrated the story of how we got our first apartment. The best part about this flat 

(apartment) was that, it had a 5 x 6 store. A Raw store. Perfect place to get started to make it our 

own.I wanted the store to be a place for holding the extra linens, quilts, suitcases and fancy clothes.

 By fancy clothes, I mean the sarees and suits that I only wear at weddings. I am a capri and t-shirt 

person at home and shirt and trousers person for office. I know, I know ! Not really Indian outfits. 

But I feel comfortable in these and prefer to remain so. Sarees and suits are reserved for weddings or

parties or special occassions. Anyways, coming back to store, For it to be able to store all these 

things, we had to plan it properly. Big space for storing quilts, and long space for accommodating 

sarees, lots of shelves for linens and extra bathroom stuff. After putting in a lot of thought and 

planning, I came up with the following layout :

As you see above, the left side picture is for the left side of the store and similarly, the right side

picture for right side of the store. The store entrance was from the middle and I designed the space to

use the left and right sides and the middle path was for moving.  The left side bigger shelves were for

 the extra sheets, extra towels, curtains, basically a linen closet. The smaller part with shelves was for

extra toiletries. The middle big portion was for storing the fancy sarees and suits. The bottom shelf

was for shoes. On the bigger portion of right side, we stored the quilts and blankets. The lower portion
was for hubby's suits, jackets.

The portion above the cabinets were

kept open so as to store the suitcases in that area. As first timers, we did not know about what

material to choose and where to go. The carpenter was good but was ignorant of the advanced stuff

that we could have chosen. The overall store turned out to be functional but there were some left out

things which we could not sort out as to how to get those done. The sliding doors never slided

properly because the carpenter did not use the channels, he made the wooden channels which are not

efficient. But, We could store lots of stuff there. In the end, I was really proud of what we could get

from that raw store. Although, I am sure if next time we want to get any such thing done, we will

research it ourselves on internet/market first to know the solution of the problem so that we are not

left with half functioning items.

This story is pre-blog days , So I do not have 'In-progress' photos. Just the completed versions....

No comments:

Post a Comment