Friday 23 May 2014

Daily Maintenance is the key!!

 

Good Morning Friends! This post has been pending for last four days. Every now and then, I would get involved in something or the other so just could not post it. Last weekend was pretty hectic for us and jam packed with few outside ventures with a family visiting us. The visit was informed to us just a day in advance which gave me the opportunity to apply the Lesson Learnt! 

For past one month, our house has been relatively clean. I say relatively, because it is not sparkling clean all the time, but still now it is presentable at all times. I feel so nice while writing this post because this has been possible by adopting one good habit – Daily pickup and cleanup.

About a month back, I had challenged (Read forced) myself to dust the house before going to bed everyday.  Why before going to bed – you ask???? Well::

image1s

Am I right or am I right?

So before going to bed was the perfect time to get to cleaning. No matter, how clean / bad it might seem, I would still dust it, with damp microfiber cloth. There were two advantages to it.

One – Since I was dusting at night, right before going to bed, no one would come interrupt, and that time, the house would get picked up too.

And secondly – In the morning, we would wake up to a clean and ordered house (because I put the things in their respective places at the time of dusting).

I did not blog about this habit, because I wanted to wait to ensure that this is going to become a habit. And I am happy to report that this surely has become a habit for me. There still have been days when I did not dust, but honestly, the next day, it still did not look bad.

I am not using any cleaning products. A simple microfiber cloth and water, that is it. For me, it is working wonders.

Here is what I take up:

Living Room:

Daily : Center Table, two side tables, extra TV unit, console table, TV wall panel.

Weekly / 3-4 days : Photo Frames, inside the media shelf.

Dining Room:

Daily: Dining Table

Weekly / 3-4 days : Crockery Unit

Lobby :

Corner Unit ( Alternate Days)

Son’s room:

Daily: Study Table top, Side Table, Dresser

Weekly / 3-4 days : Book Rack, Study Table shelves

Our Room:

Daily: Wall unit including the folding table, one shelf each day according to the day, both side tables, Bed Back.

Weekly / 3-4 days : Crib between the bars, Photo Frames, Photo Wall Clock.

After about two weeks of doing daily stuff (As mentioned above), I included few more things in this process. I included the photo frames (on random basis – like every 3 –4 days), dusting each and every thing in my son’s room, between the bars in crib, photo frames in master bedroom. Remember the wall unit in master bedroom?? It has 10 shelves in total on both the sides. I put that on my dusting list according to the numbered days. So, on the 1st I would dust the first shelf. on 2nd I would take up 2nd shelf, and so on. Then from 11th, this will repeat. Since I started from the middle of the month, I started from the 5th shelf, but boy! Am I glad I did that… The inside and outside of the wall unit looks so clean now. Every obvious place in the house remains free of dust.

When you are just contemplating doing something, the task does feel daunting. And sometimes, that would make you procastinate and putting off the task. But as is said, Starting is always the difficult part. Once you start, it does not really take that long and does not even feel intimidating. Till the time, I had not started dusting, I used to feel that it is at least an hour job. Add to it the pickup time and I felt it is not doable daily. Oh! How wrong I was! All of this does not take me more than 20 minutes. 15-20 minutes, that is what I put and I get hours of smiles ???? … I’ll take it.

So, this daily task and the ‘Upkeep’ makes the house clean and well maintained. I am glad I have incorporated the daily maintenance in my daily schedule. This is the reason when this weekend when we were expecting company, we were not rushing to cleanup the house top to bottom. Smile

So, this weekend when we entertained our guests, I felt so relaxed because we were not rushing to clean every inch of space in the house. It was mostly clean, just the daily stuff we had to take care of.

What are your daily chores?? I would love to know your daily routine of how you keep your home dust free….

Happy Weekend!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment